Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Time & Materials

From the Road to Bloomington
5"x30" wax pastel and graphite on paper
From the Road to Bloomington, detail


After more than a year of struggle with acrylic painting, I have faced the fact that it is not my medium. I have multiple failed/abandoned pieces which I labored over for months. I spent every minute of work wanting to give up, wanting to throw my easel out my third floor window. Why did it take me so long to try something else? I took a long hiatus and focused on my poetry. Finally I pulled out my sketchbook and began to work with something new:


Caran D'Ache Neocolor II water-soluble wax pastels. I have found a medium that is much more intuitive for me.

     

I am able to use drawing and painting techniques. I can blend with a brush and then draw another layer on top. I completed this image in a fraction of the time of even my smallest acrylic painting.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like fun. Perhaps you should write a poem to match the theme of the drawning.

    ReplyDelete