Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bloomington II


Never paint if you wish to live tranquilly.

                        --Corot, to a friend. 


Bloomington II
22"x30"
Pastel and charcoal on paper


Bloomington II
Detail

I started this landscape more than six months ago in a burst of energy. When I was about halfway done, I took a step back from it. This is often the point in the process I struggle with most. I start to think too much about possibilities: what could I do to make it work? What will I do to ruin it?

I left the picture on the easel, untouched for months. I could see it every time I entered the room or passed the doorway. Every time I saw it, I thought, I need to finish this! But eventually I became used to the fact that the picture was always there, and I could enter the room without noticing it, without feeling that clench of guilt for abandoning it.

A week or so ago, I walked into the room and the piece caught my eye. I could see the next step.


Bloomington II
Process shot


2 comments: