Friday, February 5, 2016

Artificial Light II


Artificial Light II
22"x 30"
pastel on paper


Recently I visited the Seatle Museum of Art, where I spent most of my visit admiring a pastel drawing by William Merritt Chase. A sign on the wall described working with pastel as "drawing with pure color." A perfect description. I love holding sticks of pure color in my hands, layering and mixing right on the surface of the paper. For the final layers of this piece, I ground up bits of ochre, blue, and green with a mortar and pestle, and I tapped the dust onto the paper. Each night I had to wash this brightly colored dust from my hair and cheeks, scrub it out of the creases of my fingers.


Study for Artificial Light II


Study for Artificial Light II
11" x 17"
pastel on paper


Studio View

No comments:

Post a Comment