Thursday, May 12, 2016

Cincinnati Venus

Cincinnati Venus
22" x 30"
pastel on paper


I feel I have taken a step forward in the Artificial Light series with my new piece, Cincinnati Venus. I was inspired by Brooks Salzwedel's landscapes. He includes in his drawings the sunspots that show up in photographs--those translucent, geometric shapes of pure color. His work has really made me think about light, how it plays across reflective surfaces, how it seems to streak through the air.



Cincinnati Venus, detail


Cincinnati Venus, detail

This sculpture is located in Centennial Plaza, which is tucked away between a few nondescript office buildings near downtown Cincinnati. It was created by artist Jim Dine, from a plaster cast taken from Venus de Milo. Jim Dine has also done many drawings from the plaster cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment